Friday 10 November 2017

The Blue City and the Railway People

Jodhpur has an area that is called the 'Blue City' and viewing from the top of the fort is an amazing sight. In reality it is difficult to find a specific area when you are on the ground. We went on two occasions. 
The streets are very, very narrow and are only accessed on foot, motor cycle or cycle. 





 I got talking to a Muslim man who had a very fine non blue house in that area and he told me that originally they were painted blue to keep them cool. However, I had been told that the buildings were plagued with a termite which were killed by the copper salt compound that was in the lime wash.  
The blue district was inhabited by the Brahmin (high class Hindu, mostly priests and town elders) class who could afford the washes.
Blue is considered a royal colour and it is commonly thought that the Brahmins painted the houses blue for this reason!  As usual nothing is straight forward in India!

I left Mark outside hovering as I accepted the invitation into his very old house and he proudly showed me the renovated areas and original areas that he had left. I met his wife and daughter-in-law, was offered water and treated very courteously apart from....... he asked me was how old was I. The men always wanted to know how old I am and they would tell me how old they are and all about their family. (Generally the tuk-tuk drivers)   He also proudly showed me his prayer room,


                                                   


a tiny room where he worships twice a day and invited me to photograph it.  He gave me his email address and facebook so I could send him a photograph. On leaving he told me he was an astrologer and if I send him my birth dates he will give me a reading. That will be interesting!





Up these steep steps and I came across an open door to a really interesting house. I could see there was a mirror inside and just as I pressed the button he came into sight.  I really thought I would be in trouble because he had caught sight of me and I was really glad I was with the lads!  Instead he beckoned us in. I quickly took off my shoes and left Neil struggling to get his off. I went inside and was greeted with such hospitality. I was introduced to his father, who looked very bewildered and his wife who shyly agreed to pose for me.  It suddenly hit me that maybe I was out of my depths and panicked slightly as Neil didn't appear. They wanted to take me up on the roof to see the Mehrangarh Fort. At this point I thanked them and went quickly outside just as Neil had got his sandals off!.  Mark was a little worried that they would have asked me for money. I don't think so and it was lovely to meet them.  It was at this point that I really realised how intrusive street photography is.











We spent a while in the labyrinth, not really knowing where we were. But we had climbed up so we had to come down! And as if by magic at the bottom were two tuk tuks which whisked us away for lunch (cheese and tomato toasties, bliss for me!) at the Cafe Royale at the Clocktower.


The fort is huge and on another occasion we were taken by Kashel to a place off the blue city to do some water reflection work with the Bubas.  Mine didn't turn out brilliantly of the Bubas but I'm very pleased with the ones of the fort walls.








This was at a beautiful lake just below the fort walls. Rather derelict but the buildings were still fine.  The area gave me the creeps a bit and I didn't feel entirely comfortable there as there were a few wild dogs around, it was clearly a place where they lived. I was happier when we got back onto the streets.

This gorgeous lady was sitting in an alley way and I noticed her as we were leaving the area.  I asked her if she minded if I took a photograph of her but she didn't answer and her expression didn't change!



The Railway people.

We had two trips to the railway station and it was more modern than I expected it to be and I was told by one of the lads that the Indians are very proud of their stations.  I would suspect that not so proud of their trains!
All of our gear had to go through the scanner as at an airport.
It is a very lively place.  We were told there would be a train every 30mins. Not so!    We hung around for about an hour and a half and only one turned up...very late.   However, lots of interesting people on the station patiently waiting.



     








Very surprised to see a flowered carriage







I had seen this beautiful young lady the day before at the clocktower market. She was with her carer and was clearly disturbed. I think she was also deaf.  My tutor said I could make her dress a beautiful bright turquoise but I don't feel that I can do that because in reality it was filthy.  They were begging and she clearly knew what she had to do as she didn't hesitate to grab the notes I gave her. I didn't see so many beggars but the ones I did see broke my heart, as she did.  I would like to think she was treated kindly by the old woman but I don't think so.


I guess they would have walked from the market to the station which is quite a stretch.



I watched this carriage for a while and was quite concerned about the man with the baby. More and more people came and pushed in front of him.  He was still sitting there as the train pulled out.











1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete