Tuesday 5 August 2014

The reason why the title is what it is

As my email is travelling lady that was what I wanted to have as my title. But so many already on the web with that title.   So...what to choose. One of the most inspiring women for me was Maya Angelou. She died in May. Browsing through her works I came across this poem title. Her story is of her chasing her African ancestry in Ghana.
My story is this.....
I have been chasing my ancestors for the past  year and started with my Mother's paternal side of the family.  In this time I have discovered that four of my GG aunts and uncles emigrated in the 1800's three to America at the time of the land rush in South Dakota and one to Australia (no not on the convict ship!)
I had pretty much decided that I was going to go and retrace their journey to S Dakota and then Oregon where they are buried, and as I would be so close to Vancouver, a place that has been on my travel list for ages I would spend some time there, when two things happened.  A friend said she would come to Vancouver with me but could only stay ten days and a new American cousin emailed me out of the blue. She had seen my name on a site called Find a Grave where I had found a picture of  the gravestone of my aunts and uncle and left a message.
So within a couple of months I have made contact with two cousins in USA and one in Melbourne.
At the time all this was happening I hit 68. Time for an adventure! Tell us something new my youngest said! So I'm off to the New World for a month travelling to see the cousins and plenty more! that is after my ten days in Vancouver with Janice.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing all about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your travels. There are some great fabric shops in Intercourse in Lancaster County

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you can post some photos of your adventures Anne!

    ReplyDelete