Tuesday 9 September 2014

A really sad goodbye to Chicago




I am sad to be leaving, I've walked miles and miles but enjoyed it. I found the Lake!  Decided to go to Navy Pier as it's one of the featured spots. It was over the other end of the city and took about 40 mins by bus, well two actually.  This is the only time I have had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus. but it didn't matter as I sat and watched two house removal men.  ' Two men and a van' how English. It was quite educational really, think they must have been brothers because there was a lot of shouting to each going on. They had a huge metal ramp which they put over the steps....clever.  Boy they did work hard though.  
Today I made sure I only travelled for $1.10 I just fed it in the machine.  Had a lazy morning so it was lunch time when I got there and straight into here. How whacky is this. 








What I had to do was show the blue one if I was Ok and the red one if I needed something! They are very quick because someone stopped when I was photographing the red one.


And here's the guy himself! He was doing photo shoots with anyone who so wished. The main purpose of my visit to Navy Pier was to go on one of the boat trips. I chose the Architectural Chicago River one.
Our orator was a very charming but very fast speaking young man and I really had to concentrate for 70 minutes. I didn't think I would be overly interested in all the facts and figures but he was so enthusiastic that I was starting to get cross when the family behind me started talking! Why couldn't they keep quiet for an hour and ten minutes for goodness sake. One thing I remember that he did tell us was that Chicago was not called the Windy City because it is always windy but because in the late 1800's Chicago annoyed other countries when they put in a bid (and won) the chance to host the World Fair. From then on it was called Windy City because the politicians were called windbags! It hasn't been windy at all.
We also learned that the city was built on swampy ground and was called skunk cabbage because the smell was so bad. The river itself was cut through to make a link from the Great Lakes to the Mississippi so canoes didnt have to be carried across country.   It's still quite polluted he said but doesn't noticeably smell.


Particularly this one. This is Donald's hotel and has angered the locals by putting his name on the side of it. Among other things he said was that tourists would flock to the city just to see it! One thing I loved about the buildings is all the reflections you get.


The honeycomb one is different, it has condos and car parking. 


This is my favourite, the curve.


This by all accounts is a posh house riverside and worth quite a bit of money.



The old and new!.
Of course there is the famous Sears tower  now called Willis, where you can go up to the top if you like heights! I believe there is a also a glass platform that you can step out on to if you have the nerve.
Wherever you are in the city it appears to be near to you.
A really interesting tour and because I bought this one I could have a trip on the lake for only $5. So I did. That was really choppy which I didnt mind because it was nice to get on the water again to cool down as it was getting hotter and hotter as the afternoon progressed.
In between though I have to admit to having this!


As you can see its Haagen Daas and it's their take on a banana split!  It was quite delicious which it should be because it set me back $10.40....but I couldn't finish it!! I got all the fruit out, banana, pineapple and strawberries, savoured the cream but just couldn't finish the ice cream. It's only the 2nd ice cream I have had so not doing too badly. I'm also being able to leave food on my plate now! The portions of everything are just so huge.

The pier was really busy, obviously the place to go at the week-end, it is quite long with amusements, a children's museum and lots of other things going on.  Of course in the gardens behind there was a fountain. Fountains and green spaces everywhere in Chicago but all pretty much child friendly.
My condo was in Little Italy and I decided I would go down to the main restaurant area at the bottom of my street in the evening. The University of Illinois campus is in the next street so the place is buzzing. Ended up having a delicious Chinese take away. 

On my visits to cities I am happy to walk around the city to get the feel of the place. Today I decided I would have me some culture and visit the 



I decided I would go just to have a quick look round. I was there 4 1/2 hours! That included time out for  lunch in this beautiful courtyard and watching the sparrows drinking.





It is one of the most interesting places.  Firstly I headed off downstairs to the photography display. Lots of them were gelatin silver prints. People I had never heard off but will look up when I get back. These were proper photographers, not having the modern technology!  From middle 1800's.
One guy,Joe Mayerling, displayed some great shots. In 1966 he trekked across Europe taking photographs in black and white and colour using 700 rolls of film.

Next up to the Asian room, exquisite stoneware and inlaid decorations from Korea. I don't remember seeing any artefacts from Korea before.


I was very taken with the Han Dynasty 206BC- AD 220 burial jades:




Supposedly jade prevented physical decay which inspired jade carvers to make corpse eye covers, amulets to put in the mouth and pigs to be clasped in the hands, which depicted abundance and wealth. In the next life I suppose!


Love him.....Tang dynasty.  Three Colour earthenware, with lead glazes.  Wonder how long those potters lasted?


This room was my very favourite, the Native Indian room.

For all the ladies I know who love beading, how about these, on leather as well!


Totally beaded!


There was so much beaded work but this painted tepee side I love.




My Mum used to say l had eyes in the back of my head because I used to see things I shouldn't!


Well I visited all of the rooms except the Greek and Roman. I went to the special exhibition of Magrite, the surrealist's work and have to say I skipped through there! Not to my liking.
I found out who the artist was of the polystyrene looking statue in the street, there was another of his in the gallery.




These were so beautiful, the colours startling!






My last visit was to a special exhibition by a weaver called Ethel Stein, who is 96 and still weaving. I have never heard of her and this is her first exhibition at somewhere like Chicago. I don't weave, would like to have a go,


but think I would get very tangled up! I was so impressed with her work. She also dyes her threads.


I had taken these photos before I got told I shouldn't have!

Seeing all the different artwork, Chinese, Mayan, Japanese made me want to rush out and buy some sewing work to do. Can't wait to get to the quilting shops!

What a wonderful 4 hours!  Time for another wander as I was in a part of the city that I hadn't been to. I spied another park, another fountain? Well yes in the one next to the institute, but I had already called in that one and went to the next one along. And found some new friends. Sat next to him but he didn't have much to say!



These were in the Van Buren park.  Thought they were quite lovely.  Onwards....... over a huge bridge into Grant Park by Lake Michigan. Now there was a fountain, Buckingham Fountain!



Very impressive.  Sat by the Lake for quite a while with about 100 Canada geese behind me. They were out for a walk.....


Then decided they would have a little fly and a swim....


For a short moment I thought to myself, I didn't know that Canada geese swim in the sea!,,,dimbo... But it does look like the sea.

Time for home, as I was walking back to catch the bus I remembered it was a one way street,flip, now what?  Brainwave, try next street up...yea cracked it, that traffic was also one way, but going west!  There was the number 7 Harrison bus stop. Felt quite smug really lol.
Found the parts of Chicago I was in very safe. I wandered down the street again that night to an Italian restaurant that I had been passing all of the time, called Tuscany.  It looked a very expensive place but it always had a lot of people there so as it was my last night I thought why not.   Some of the best pasta I have had and it wasn't expensive. So yet another lovely day! 

I'm now in Washington DC. Wonder if it's the place to be on 9/11!  No idea why there is red print all of a sudden, it disappeared on its own!





















































1 comment:

  1. Glad that you had a good time in Chicago, there is so much to see there. Hope Washington is as good.

    ReplyDelete