Tuesday 2 September 2014

Coastline


I was going to put these on the blog last night but I was so tired I decided to leave them until today.

This is Workman cemetery that I was looking for. A tiny cemetery, well looked after by the people in the White House ( no not them!). If they didn't it would be grown over by whatever grows there because Harrisburg council don't look after it. It's about 7 miles outside of Harrisburg so maybe over the years it has been left out of the towns jurisdictions.

When I stepped out of the car I couldn't believe I really was here, this was one of the reasons I had travelled all this way. I trod the rows methodically but couldn't find it first time then I saw saw metal pegs under a tree. I remembered DeLene, my cousin, telling me that was all she found when visiting in the 1900s.
She and her husband Jay decided,when they got back to Salt Lake City, that they would like to have a headstone made. They contacted a local stonemason who was a little bemused that they would bother to do this after all these years. He even brought his wife with him when the stone was laid. Harriet was DeLene 's G Grandmother.

Oregon is a very beautiful state. In the west where I was it has mountains, lots of roads completely flanked by the tallest pines and of course the coast. I drove down through the Cascade mountain range. A busy road but still a great ride. As I drove into Lincoln CIty the fog was over the mountains, it was very busy with the holiday traffic. It was Labour Day week-end and I was hungry. I hadn't stopped to eat because I knew Dawn and Braden were expecting me and I was a bit late so very pleased to have dinner with them. I knew I would like it here. Their house is a beige wooden single storey building with lots of space. It has a deck and a small but lovely garden. As I sat at the table I could see the  beach and the sea when the fog cleared.


hadn't realised I had booked myself into a probable tsunami area!  The literature in the bedroom contained a fair amount about what to do if you feel a tremor.....run for the hills. You don't have very long, minutes if it's a local quake and possibly a couple of hours if it's one a long way away. People are  asked to keep emergency food and water just in case. Dawn said probably best if you don't read it! 
The following morning wasn't any better weather wise but the company was good and I didn't feel like rushing about . Dawn had had her car back window smashed when she was out hiking in the mountains a couple of days ago so we went shopping in my car. I had breakfast provided but had to find my other food. I had use of the kitchen if I needed it.


I soon got restless and even with it being misty still went out to explore.
This is a Roads end, North Lincoln City where I was staying, at 1.30 in the afternoon.




Five miles down the road and it was clear and the sun was coming out. I drove down the pacific road with the sea by my side all of the way with many view points along the way. This is Schooner Bay.
 I pulled in at Beaver Creek and drove up the bypass to the highways. This was a single way high climb upto Cape Foulweather 500 feet above the Pacific and it was just beautiful.


Named by Captain Cook after a rough journey around the Cape.

The photographs just don't do it justice, I didn't like being near the edge!

I had intended going onto Newport but the arm was still very painful so decided to start driving back. Called in at Defoe Bay which boasts of having the smallest harbour in the world. It didn't seem that small to me. Boats were coming in and out, some with fisherman and some were whale watching boats. They go out to see the four grey sharks that stay there all year around. That's probably on the list for tomorrow. Somehow I have lost my photographs of there and the Yaquina lighthouse I went to on Sunday. 
I decided I would get down the coast on Sunday, it was a hot sunny day, very busy through Lincoln City but once on the freeway good driving although quite slow. Max speed is usually 55 but changes often, you have to be looking for signs all of the time. There are areas of safe corridor driving where lights on is recommended and double speeding fines apply. However, mostly these rules are not adhered too.
Yaquina Head is a narrow coastal headland extending a mile into the Pacific. The lighthouse is there of course along with whales, seals and many birds. (So they say but I didn't see any) a lady told me she had seen a whale spouting twice a short time before. However, the view from up there is spectacular.
From the viewing platform you can go down to Cobble beach which is made up of lava cobbles.


The lighthouse was first lit in 1873 and had two keepers until 1966 when it became fully automated.
It was very busy there and people could be seen swishing their arms about and slapping various parts of their bodies! Why.. The flies were horrible. It was very hot but I had to put my cardi on, I couldn't stand them on my arms.


Onwards to Newport, I gave up on the whale watching. The boats looked so small I think there would have been a lot of jostling and I couldn't face having my arm knocked. I was looking for the harbour with the sea lions and didn't see any easy way to get to it so decided to go onto Ona beach which Braden had recommended. To get there I had to go across this lovely bridge



The Yaquina Bay Bridge. The views from this, the harbour to the left and out to sea on the right. It is quite high.
Ona beach has white sands and it was about 5 when I got there so not too busy. I did have a paddle. In Oregon they say don't turn your back on the waves... This is what happens you get caught out!


It had got up the 80' s by now so I didn't take long to dry out. Had a very nice half hour there watching this lad ...I was a bit worried that he was going out when the tide was going out but he obviously knew what he was doing.











1 comment:

  1. Great photo's Ann! Its lovely to see the places that you are talking about.
    When you are so close to mountains, you can never rely on what the weather is going to do.

    ReplyDelete