Saturday 6 September 2014

The Windy City

Airport with time to spare. Requires two flights to Chicago. Got a 2 hour layover at Denver, that's  Ok will have time for something to eat. Arriving at Chicago 7.20. Not......
Both my flights had E and B seats.  Bummer don't like being stuck between two other people. But never mind won't be for long. 1 hour 15 to Denver then 2 hour 15 to Chicago.

Well... I thought it was going to be, well a different flight, when I saw all our air hostesses were men! Big burly men in black t shirts.....and you do meet some strange people on aeroplanes sometimes don't you? Why is it they have to share their life history with you when all you want to do is sleep?  She was the last on, her case was so heavy that she couldn't lift it to put in the locker. ( I will no longer take any notice of the the measurements they give you regarding carry ons , except for easy jet, but that's another story!)  We (we as in the lady in seat D) had to get out to let her into her window seat and she huffed and puffed and put all the air blowers on. Personally I don't like cold air blowing on me.. She did ask me if I was hot and I said no but perhaps she didn't understand English!  So the drinks trolley comes and being like Ryan air you have to pay ( you don't with Delta)  
 Bless her my new friend wanted to buy us both drinks as she was going to a place near Chicago to cremate her first ex husband? Neither of us wanted one but she bought herself two bourbons with coke which took her about 15 minutes to drink. In between I found out she had been married twice and was now engaged to a vet, a nephew of her husband had now come out of the woodwork and was wanting such and such and husband had been on credits so didn't have anything and his second wife hated her and so on and so on! Also she hadn't slept for three days and she was renting a car when she got to Chicago.  And where was I sitting on the second flight.. Both in row 17 but sigh of relief when I found out she was in F again.
I did want to be sympathetic but admit to rushing off the plane while she was nearly decapitating someone getting her case out of the locker. I had already planned to write my blog in the 2 hour layover.
This I did and time flew and we got called to the gate at for our 4.00 flight only to be told we won't be boarding for a short time as the heating element had gone on screen and had to be replaced. Update at 5.00.. Now had part and was being replaced, only take a few minutes. We left at 6.00 yea only two hours late.  Settled in between nice lady and young man only to be told 30 mins into flight that there was a problem and we had to return to Denver.  I've never been on a plane that turns round but I would never have known!  Take all your luggage and hang around gate 24. We are getting plane out of hanger so it should only be about 30 mins. It was at this point I was glad I had my little bag with me.  You can go and get refreshments but be back in 25 mins.  Did this and then found out they were giving out 15 dollar vouchers to be spent on refreshments until midnight. 
Had had a snack and now no time to eat if I had wanted to but determined not to waste it I bought bananas crisps etc.
We finally got underway at 8.00. Nice pilot said he would put his foot down and only take 1hr 45, 30 mins off flight. Which he did.  Landed at 10.45.  Had to put watch on an hour. 
Katya was expecting me about 8.15 and I was beginning to think I wouldn't have a bed for the night.
No one at Airport Xpress booking kiosk. Slight panic, no need, lovely 59 year old widowed driver, who was waiting outside took me. The service is amazing. He made sure Katya was there before he went. By this time it was 12.00. Raging party going on in downstairs flat.....student area..., but I couldn't hear a thing in my room which is lovely.   Think I was asleep within. 5 mins!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that you will love Chicago. It's very busy and bustling but some great sights, and friendly people

    ReplyDelete