Monday 15 September 2014

Foggy Bottom


On my trip to Washington yesterday I was sitting next to three elderly American woman who had not got the Metro sorted at all! They wanted to go to Georgetown and knew they needed to get off at Foggy Bottom. After much laughter and joking another couple of ladies got talking to them and were saying how nice Georgetown is.  So I looked it up and lo and behold there was a water taxi between Georgetown and Alexandria. So that's what I decided I would do on my second day. Getting off at Foggy Bottom my first priority was to find a coffee shop, which I did after a fair bit of walking.
I had a rough idea where I was going but asked a lady as we were crossing the road together. She hasn't a clue, she had only been working there for 30 years. She insisted on phoning her office (we were just outside ) and no one there knew how to get to the river! So I said thanks it would not matter but she was insistent and had me go in her office block with her to ask the security guard.  It turned out to be at the bottom of road and I got instructions. So......over the road hang a left and I'm having to cross this.





I crossed it and walked down by the side of it until I got down the bottom and I needed to go over the bridge. However, I must admit to thinking that maybe this bit might be a bit of a rough area.


This guy was on the corner with all this rubbish. I couldn't decide what he was doing with it all and he was busy sorting through it. I had to cross three busy roads and then saw the river. Relief!
A short walk through the park and there was this really lovely area by the Potomac river. Classy, expensive restaurants, obviously a place where the Georgetown yuppies hang out at lunch time. There were river trips and the river taxi just as promised. I saw one pulling out just as I got there. That didn't matter because I had brought a picnic and there was guess what a.......


To sit by and watch the children having fun.  I could also sit on the steps leading right down to the Potomac. I have always remembered this river since the plane crashed into it some years ago. I like the name of it..




Rather overexposed picture but just to show, kayaks, paddle boarding and small boats, it's a busy river.

There was a small creek running through the park and this is the plaque about it but there was no where near the amount of water in it as showing in this picture. Nowhere seems to have had much water this summer. I had been watching the weather forecasts everywhere I went and rain had been promised yesterday so I packed my shower jacket...all it did was get very hot!  So I didn't take it with me today.


It was very hot again, I went to pay for my ticket but the operator's computer was kaput so we were told we would have to pay on the boat. Myself and another lady.   We both went to sit under the tree and got into conversation.  She was Israeli and had lived in Florida for 18 years. Her husband had been killed in the troubles in Israel 25 years ago and her two children had emigrated so she upped and went over to Florida. She was travelling on her own and when I asked her if she travelled with friends she said she didn't have any because in Florida people don't mix. I thought that was quite sad and really appreciate all you friends out there!  After talking to me for about five minutes she gave me an invite to go and stay with her.  Then she got onto the subject of men! There are no men for our age she said.....either they have money and they want an 18 year old on their arm who want them for their money or there are those who want your money. By all accounts she had known a couple who wanted her house and car! 
We had had to wait an hour for the taxi and I was relieved when I saw it coming back to the dock. Not the little taxis as in Vancouver but big boats with a top deck.  
As we set off towards Alexandria we left the dock with the Key Bridge behind us. Built in honour of Mr Francis Scott Key who wrote the Star-Spangled Banner.

We had to go and pay a young lad for our tickets and because that is not the way it is usually operated he didn't have any means of giving a receipt. Mrs Israeli woman got really angry with him and I thought that perhaps I wouldn't be going to Florida for a holiday! lol
I went up to the top deck and looked forward to a nice leisurely 45 minute trip. Mrs Israeli had gone inside but 5 minutes later she came puffing up the steps and sat near me. That was Ok I had the camera out and was listening to the commentary. We went by Roosevelt Island on the right and passed the Lincoln Memorial on the left, where Martin Luther King Jnr gave his famous speech , "I have a dream".  Under Arlington bridge with the two golden equestrian statues, that joins N and S city.


We were asked to go downstairs for a few moments while we went under two bridges that were close together and with not so much headroom, all the antenna had to be lowered.  Mrs Israli had to be told twice to go downstairs!  She didn't come back up! 
I must admit that I hadn't noticed that there are no skyscrapers in Washington.
We passed Ronald Reagan airport on our left and watched several planes land in the time it took us to pass it.
So as we approached Alexandria the tallest building that can be seen is the George Washington Masonic Temple. 


The harbour in Alexandria.




King Street leads to the harbour and it's where you can pick up a free ride on the trolley car.


I decided I would ride the car to the top of King Street which is about 11 blocks and walk down to meander around  the shops and catch the shuttle back to the hotel.  It really is a quaint busy street.



I bought some things from the Dutch lady. She had a very strong accent but thought mine was cute!, Really!!

There was also a very nice cafe there that served a delicious pecan and toffee pie and a mango and strawberry smoothie.

The shuttle stopped by the square which of course had a ....


I sat on the wall just round from this, under a tree and I suddenly felt something hit the top of my leg and when I looked down a squirrell was sitting by my side and sat looking up at me, but as I turned to pick up my camera he jumped onto the floor but didn't go far!  Think he has a nut in his paw.

Got to get back and get the packing done, I'm leaving tomorrow!



 






1 comment:

  1. Alexandria looks lovely, well done on finding that river. Coming home already?! Have a safe trip

    ReplyDelete