Wednesday 3 September 2014

The three tenors at Newport

Newport is a very busy fishing town as I said before and I knew there was an area down at the harbour that would be interesting. To find it was another matter. I did find it by just driving around and was lucky enough to fine a parking space. It did smell like a harbour and there was a lot of honking going on!  


It was these fellows sitting on the rocks and looking for any scraps. Was a bit disappointed that they were so far away I couldn't get some close ups.


I walked along the boardwalk where the boat owners were gutting and selling their fish straight off their boats.


An original way of finding work . Hope one of the people who tore one of his tickets off gave him a job!

Someone pulled Into my parking place almost before I had pulled out and I cursed because as soon as I had got along the road a bit I realised that I hadn't yet found the busiest part of town! But luck was in and there was another free parking place. So I nipped in there (progress....I could nip into parking places now)  Following the noise again I found the real stars of the harbour..


The three tenors !!

There were dozens of them but these three were really putting on a show.

I've been in some restrooms in my time and wondered which was which but the one in the restaurant I went to really had me stumped.  Barleys or Hops!  I was dithering outside until a man came out of the Hops! It has to said that the restaurant was owned by Rogues who are a brewery but I still can't think how anyone one know.

So time to leave Oregon. I had loved my time there, my B&B was excellent and the weather was wonderful and the state doesn't add taxes onto everything!

My flight was at 4.15 and I had to drive to Portland airport to drop the car off.  So as I was ready early I left straight away (9.30) planning to have lunch nearer Portland. It was the last day of holidays so was going to be busy. Decided to avoid Salem and off I went. Everything was fine until Portland where it was really busy. Everything was going so well, I had managed to switch 3 busy freeways and Interstates until I came off a slip road too soon at Portland which threw me straight onto a spaghetti junction! I can't believe how I did it but I managed to get back on the I84 going towards Dalles. Phew! All I had to do was get to Exit 8 and on to the 251N to take me into the airport and it was only 11.45.  Then traffic jam and it took 45mins to go a mile. No panic I had loads of time I was at exit 4. A notice then came up saying the I84 was closed 10 miles on. That was ok I only had 5 miles to go.  On we moved slowly and then we started to speed up...great nearly at exit 6 and then...there were the police sending us off at exit 6.   Panic!  How do I get to the airport I shouted to the police officer...you gotta get off here and get on the 251N. Easy for him he knows the road but......as everything it seems out here, things work out. I drove up the side of the 251S and over the bridge and got on the 251N the other side which led into the airport. Now how to find Hertz. No problem...big signs up directing to rental cars. Finally got checked in at 2.00 so plenty of time to have a meal before boarding. But so glad I decided to leave early.   Oh ... When I got to Hertz I was telling the girl about the jam and she said did I know why the I84 was closed? No, well it was because there was an armed man causing trouble, don't know the outcome of that but glad I was where I was.

By 6.00 I was in Salt Lake City. Shuttle in 5 mins and now I have a very posh room at the Plaza with a microwave and fridge.  Didn't take too much notice of the city as I was talking to another woman on the shuttle but walked a few blocks and I am next to the huge Temple and Temple Square. The streets are so wide that when the go button bleeps for a couple of seconds and then counts down from 20 it's still really hard to get across in that time. First impressions..it is going to be a very different city to any I've been in.










It is a beautiful building.






1 comment:

  1. Salt Lake City is on my bucket list after seeing someone's photographs, I will see if you think its worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete