Sunday 14 September 2014

Washington DC



I'm now staying at my cousins's house in Maryland but Thursday and Friday I spent in Alexandria, Washington D C.. Just a short two days but I seemed to pack a lot in and walked miles in the hot sun, I have quite a sun tan.
I was told that the best way to get into Washington proper was to take the free hotel shuttle to Reagan airport (5mins) the driver will drop off at the metro stop. This worked very well. The ticket machine seemed to have everyone foxed so I didn't feel too badly when I couldn't get a ticket because the machine wanted my postcode but didn't have letters on it. So no ticket!  But very nice station master came out of his booth and ran me through how to get a ticket from another machine. Told me how to punch $3.15 in for ticket to McPhearson Sq. (Nearest to White House) but not how to see what the cost was to each station. So... I assumed that as everywhere else I have been one price covers all. No it doesn't!
When he had finished with me another hotel male guest said can you help me please sir. So it wasn't me just being a bit slow! 
Train came quickly and soon I was seeing signs for Arlington cemetery, Pentagon, Pentagon city, a few more I didn't recognise and then mine.
With a bit of good navigating I arrived here

 

A nice Jewish man who was protesting about something, along with many others, all protesting about different things, asked if I would like a photograph. Sorry I'm blocking the view of the fountain!  Note the empty roof top.

I walked over the road into the park and took some more photographs and noticed him on the roof.


It was 9/11 and a fair bit of police presence, but not over the top. I suppose probably no more than normal for the White House.


Don't understand why they have that on the cars?

So I headed off to walk round the other side of the White House through the elipse and up the hill to the Washington Monument.



White House from the other side.

Yet another fountain, especially for the police horses!



They were quite happy to have their photographs taken! The policemen that is. It's a good life!

Up the hill to the  monument was a bit hard going in the midday sun.   I thought it was only mad dogs etc. but Americans don't bother about that they even jog in the midday sun!

Me, I was sitting on that wall getting my breath back and thinking I need to get out of the sun. 
Just a little more climbing to do and I was there.


Sitting underneath it, boy it looks tall.


The views from the hill it stands on are wonderful, the White House, Capitol and The Lincoln Memorial 


With the Reflection pool.


Time for lunch and to get out of the sun, so along Constitution Avenue towards the Smithsonian  Museum.  Eateries were amazingly in short supply around there. I thought there was only one Smithsonian Museum but no there are several. I chose to go to the Natural History.
Had to take a photograph of these on the way


There were hundreds of them parked and Hells Angel ( or look a likes) were riding around, think they had come for the heavy rock music that was going on in the park. They were immaculate (the bikes,not the riders) especially the Harleys.



Smithsonian Castle, just opposite the Museum.

After all the days in the sun I've had the heat was really getting to me that day and the cool of the Smithsonian was wonderful. It's a free museum, very well set out, with some interesting video shows especially the oceanic one, I watched that one twice.  Of course they had all the stuffed animals, much like our Natural History Museum in London.  


This little fella got lots of cuddles by children and adults alike!

The gem rooms were huge and at this time very crowded, but amazing. Great generosity by the people who donate all these gems.




Many more pieces of jewellery and all the different types of gems you can think of.  It was mesmerising, you simply can't take all this in in one visit.

I went into the butterfly room, it was 86 degrees in there! They were everywhere and we had to be so careful not to tread on them. 




Some of them looked as if they had been chewed by something,parts of their wings were missing.



On the way out we had to stand in a booth with big mirrors to make sure we didn't have any of the butterflies on us. I didn't so......

Time to go.... Getting towards rush hour now, that starts at 3.00 in the cities. Was going to walk back and over the other side of the monument towards the Potomac river but decided against it and found the nearest Metro station and punched my $3.15 in and on my way.  Quite smug...until I got the other end and instead of keeping my ticket the machine threw it back and  I was to take ticket and report to somewhere or another! Nice man was still in his booth but facing other way, He was pretty much sealed in I think.

I guess because the station was one stop further on from  McPhearson it cost more. Didn't want to disturb nice man again so I just walked around the booth and out, but I was half  expecting someone to come chasing after me! 
Our shuttle picked us up where it had dropped us off and he came within minutes.
Back at the hotel I decided that I would go down to King Street for dinner, which is the Main Street and goes the whole length of the Old Town. It's full of cute smart boutique type shops and restaurants. So for the first time this holiday I togged myself up in dress and jewellery and caught the shuttle down. Picks up and drops off every hour. Found a great Irish pub and had, joy oh joy, bangers and mash with carrots and broccoli. When I asked for them he asked if I wanted the mash leaving off. No! They were very al dente and I sent them back to be cooked more but I think he gave them another minute! But real gravy! To go with that I had a superb pear cider! Managed to do that within the hour and decided I would do King Street tomorrow!
























1 comment:

  1. Washington looks great! You seem to be enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete