Friday 5 September 2014

To the mountains!

Wednesday dawned and time to meet the second cousin Renee, daughter of Luther. We were to meet in the North Visitor Centre in Temple Square by the city of Jerusalem where the Christus is. Had an hour to spare and again huge, huge, buildings.



This is the Christus, 11 feet tall. There was a group of Japanese having a guided tour with an  interpreter and I was amazed (don't know why) that when she had finished speaking they switched the English interpretation that was being played, to Japanese. As in the Temple everywhere was very comfortable.



The city of Jerusalem was in the middle of that display!

There is a South Visitor Centre as well in the square. But that was for another day.
Renee turned up in her pink sweater and as promised off we went to the mountains. She had asked me what I wanted to do and I chose the mountains.  It was an beautiful drive out of the city and as we climbed upto Snowbird Ski resort in the canyon.  Now I had looked up information on the resort and I knew what was there! There were sheer drops on the side we drove up and Renee drives quite speedily!  Anyway we arrived safely and I was told we were going on the tram!  Great I don't mind trams but couldn't see one,all I could see where those huge pylons with wires between them. 



 Yeah that's it she said and I said well I don't really like them, Oh you will be fine she said. no I won't I thought but hey oh I don't think you argue with Renee.  How long will it take I asked the ticket lad. About 10 mins. Oh Lord. When I looked up I thought well it must go slowly because that's not far. Little did I know that that was only the first mountain top. I couldn't look as we started off and clung onto the metal pole. You don't get seats on them. Joy oh Joy we reached the first top and I should have realised because there was no docking station there. So on we went steeper and steeper and as I had a quick glance SLC was miles below us.  Well 5,000 Feet actually, when we reached the top we were at 11,000 feet. All there was at the top of Hidden Peak were diggers and other machinery as they are starting to build up there.  I didn't want to get out and when I did the platform rocked I felt quite panicky.  I managed to get myself off the platform and onto terra firma but every time they drilled vibrations underfoot sent me into a panic. Now anyone who isn't  afraid of heights won't understand this but it is terrifying.
We will catch the next one down she said which was in about 20 mins.. Yes we absolutely will..The scenery was amazing and I'm glad that I did it but don't wont to do it again anytime soon.
The strange thing is and I have no idea why, but once I get in and come down I absolutely love it and managed to get some shots.



These were all taken through dirty glass so not as clear as I would like. The downward journey went too quickly!
Now I could eat our picnic lunch!  We sat in the sun at the resort and there was lots of chat that covered religion, family, and politics.  It was quite enlightening and I was very comfortable in her company.  
Back down the mountain we went again, beautiful and the smell of the pines is divine. Would I like to look at the waterfall, it's only a ten minute hike through some trees. No!  Well we got out the car in a lay by and it was simply a hole in the trees off the road with rocks etc. it was going to be a climb! Have you got snakes here I asked. Oh yeah but I haven't seen one in a while. What are they I asked. Oh we got all sorts, rattlers....... Don't think I can do this Renee. Oh you don't bother she said shrugging her shoulders. Well I'm really out of my comfort zone here. Ok do you want to go... Yes please I said and jumped in the car pretty smartish.
Bless her she tried so hard to please me and she did, we went to another viewpoint of the mountains and SLC way below. It was beautiful but there was a  bit of a pollution haze over the city.

I didn't have long enough to sort out which were which but the ranges that look over the Valley are called the Wasatch,Oquirrh,Kennacott, which has a working copper mine.

Dinner was planned, we were going to Mimis ( a New Orleans Restaurant) with Rebecca her daughter who returned from a year in England in January. Believe it or not she lived in Kettering. She desperately wants to be English! She was overjoyed to hear my horrible Northamptonshire accent.
I had good old American meat loaf! 
Was really sad to say goodbye to them when we eventually got back to the hotel but I know we will keep in touch!
Another lovely day!












No comments:

Post a Comment